Saturday, September 25, 2010

Always Changing!

Things seem to be changing all the time. Recently I started riding a new horse (pictured) Pharaoh's Tale. He is a 12 year old TB owned by a good friend of mine, Ellie Brooks. Pharaoh has had some time off while Ellie has been doing school and since she is moving in January she asked me help find him a new home. Pharaoh won the AEC at novice with Allison Springer before Ellie bought him. When she asked me to ride him it had been months since he last had a rider on his back. I was prepared for a lot of patience and time before he was turned back into the event horse he was. He moved in to my barn on Sunday and it's now Saturday. After just six days with this horse I have already seen him fall right back into a routine. He stands quietly in the cross ties, hacks to the ring alone, lets me open gates from his back, you name it and I'm sure he could figure it out quickly. I am very excited to be working with this horse and hope to start him back in the eventing world this fall.
OK, now for Blazer...Well Blazer and I were entered to go to Middleburg Horse Trials Prelim this weekend. However, Wednesday night when I went to get him from the field he was favoring his left front. As any horse owner would I thought the worst. I called Dr. Johns immediately and she came to check it out and pulled his shoe. Blazer immediately stood flat footed and looked totally relieved. After removing the pad an abscess burst and so now we are soaking and wrapping him until it heals up. That being said, obviously Middleburg did not happen this weekend and we will have to re-route our fall plans.
I am super excited for this fall and to see where things go with Blazer and to watch Pharaoh progress. I've also been helping out a friend while she is at school by riding her mare who is coming back from an injury. Watching these horses come along reminds me what I love about this sport and working with horses. Getting on a horse and feeling an improvement from the day before and knowing that you made that happen always puts a smile on my face.
As I sit here watching the opening ceremony for the World Equestrian Games I realize how lucky I am to have done some of the things I have done so far with my riding. Although Blazer and I's plans have not been falling into place recently we have already accomplished so much together that a little bumpy stretch of road was due. I know that there is still a lot to come in my future and can't wait to see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment