Thursday, August 18, 2011

Summer Wind Down

I can't believe summer is almost over! Well, I'm sure the heat will stick around a bit longer (I hope), but classes start on Monday so for me summer is winding down. This summer has been full of last minute, should-i-do-this?, amazing experiences. I've groomed for Stephen Bradley at Jersey Fresh and Bromont, I've ridden greenies, I've ridden hunters, jumpers, eventers, foxhunters, you name it and I tried riding it. This was the summer of "yes". With the end of my career with Blazer I found myself saying yes to anything and everything presented. Like the old saying goes, "experience is something you get right after you need it". This summer I've gained more experience than I ever thought. I learned my strengths, my weaknesses, and my breaking point. For me this summer was about finding out if this was all worth it. 
With one more year left to finish my Associates degree it is time for me to start applying to transfer and finish my Bachelors. George Mason has always been an obvious choice because it is right down the road from Middleburg and would cause the least disturbance in my routine. I've been fortunate enough to have full days of riding and teaching, even without owning any of my own horses. Now that summer is winding down and things will soon start settling back into routines it's time to get serious about my own horses. This break from competing has been a blessing and a curse. I've been lucky to take advantage of opportunities that were given to me, without my own competition conflicts. However, it has been really hard to sit on the sidelines and watch at events!! This summer made me realize that eventing is something I cannot live without and something that I'm willing to put the hours and days of hard work into making happen. That being said it is time to start searching for my next partners. Over the next few weeks I am hoping to expand my own team of horses and get back to a regular routine of competing. I'll be sure to update again soon, hopefully with some exciting new updates!!

No comments:

Post a Comment